REVIEWED ON JUN 21, 2023
The LeafSnap app is a great tool for aspiring horticulturalists. Backed by a library of more than 7,000 entries, users can scan any leaf with their smartphone camera to bring up a comprehensive description about the specimen in question. LeafSnap provides full details about tree species, scientific names and more. Guaranteed to come in handy during the fall.
Straightforward to use with multiple search options
Great way to encourage learning
Interactive elements will go down well with younger users
Offers access to a wealth of botanical records
You don't need to be an expert to get started
Can be quite slow to deliver results
Reference archive isn't particularly comprehensive
Some identifications won't always be accurate
Premium features don't come cheap
No offline access supported
How to download & use
- Download the LeafSnap app using the link on this page.
- Launch the app to get started.
- Use the "Search by Name" or "Search by Photo" options.
- If searching by name, enter the name of the tree species you are looking for. If searching by photo, take a photo of the leaf.
- The app will search its database for similar leaves and display the results.
- Select the desired tree species to view additional information about it.
Review & download
LeafSnap is a powerful and convenient-to-use mobile app that simplifies the tree identification process using photographs of their leaves. Its intuitive design and impressive performance image recognition technology make it a great tool for nature lovers, botanists and anyone who wants to learn more about the trees around them.